OR, their cute-as-fuck spanish name: los caracols
or, in german (which is less cute): schnecke. and hilariously, ‘slug’ in german is nacktschnecke. literally, naked snail! HOLY CATS I LOVE IT
reasons snails are so wonderful:
– they carry their houses around on their backs, which they can hide in when they are scared. i especially love how their eye stalks retract!
– their shells are technically exoskeletons
– some snails have lungs and some have gills
– snails live in diverse environments, from the depths of the ocean to deserts to the bushes in front of my apartment
– they leave a slime trail, showing where they have been. the trails are often wonderfully erratic!
– snail shells are made from an excretion, mostly calcium carbonate with a bit of protein, secreted by the mantle cells, which are located near to and underneath the shell.
– the shell is never shed and must be enlarged to accommodate the snail as it grows
– they are a little bit gross