THIS IS THE YEAR I’M GOING TO SEE THE WORLD (kind of)
i’ve never been at a point in my life where i could take off and go traveling. i’m more settled than my friends who’ve done that–i have cats! they need me! i can’t just move in with my parents for six months to save up for a round-the-world trip: i’m more independent than that, god damn it!
the time has finally come. I AM GOING TO SEE SOME SHIT.
MARCH & APRIL, otherwise known as TATTOO TOUR 2K12
– portland, march 20-23. gonna check out the vegan food & get tattooed by ryan mason (who introduced me to carrots and hummus. SO GOOD!). i am pretty sure 98% of portland’s tourism is based around vegan food & tattooing, so altogether a typical trip. looking forward to: powell’s books, the vegan food card, food fight!, getting tattooed, maybe checking out a strip club (by myself! YESSSS)
(edited to add: perhaps not by myself! i’ve invited my long-term partner in crime, courtney, to come with me; in over ten years of friendship the only trip we’ve taken together is a day trip to victoria from vancouver. time to change that!)
– san diego, april 24 – may 01. guess what, more tattooing! it turns out that my favourite tattoo artist EVAR (mike stobbe) lives in san diego so i have to head down there to get work done by him, not to mention that i am pretty close with him & his fam so it’s always wonderful to visit with them. alllllso, greg lives there and we are pretty tight so i’ll hang out with him, too, and we will eat a bunch of mexican food and go to the beach.
HOLD ON TO YOUR HATS FOR ARINN’S 57 DAY EURODYSSEY
– 1st stop, iceland, may 09-15. looking forward to checking out reykjavik, taking a tour around to see some glaciers and ponies and troll-rocks and hot tubs. did you know?! the icelandic phone book is arranged by first name.
– scandinavia– the leg in which i slink around, being shorter than everyone, drinking coffee, picking up babes, and otherwise pretending i’m lisbeth salander (kidding!) (maybe).
– eastern europe – touring castles & keeping on the cheap side of the euro’s border, pretending i have a meat allergy so people don’t think i’m insane for being veg*n
– germany – visiting my old-school ladypal rose (who is a brainiac currently working on her doctorate! she studies sciency stuff like gene therapy)in berlin. hopefully getting some crazy tattoo work from one of the dudes at swastika freakshop. i’d love to get my palms done in their sweet pointillism but i’m not ready for that kind of thing yet. will i have to return to germany JUST FOR THAT? maybe.
– austria– ? – near innsbruck, there is a town matching my surname. should i check it out, just in case i’m welcomed as a long-lost local? JUST KIDDING, that is an insane idea. but ever since i found it in an atlas at age 12, i’ve been dreaming of visiting…
– switzerland – chocolate, watches, mountains, ridiculously strict rules about everything. why the fuck not
– croatia – one of my favourite coworkers is a croat, and she has given me more than enough reasons to visit…
– istanbul or constantinople? europe, kind of, but kind of middle-eastern, too. i want to check out the mosques and spice markets and the seat of the byzantine empire. it’s enough to make my history-boner explode.
– london & aberdeen– must visit some friends who reside there. otherwise i don’t really give two shits about the uk (sorry brits! it’s true though)
now that i’ve purchased my tickets for eurodyssey, i’ve a whole list of worries. what kind of backpack should i get? what should i pack? where should i go? what kind of eurail pass would be the best? where should i get tattooed? where am i going to stay? what if i can’t find a good job when i get back? what if i get tired of carrying around a giant backpack? what if i miss my cats too much?